Effective Date:February 4, 2015
Information Collection, Use, and Sharing
Content and Information You Share for Publication. We have access to and collect information and content that you voluntarily give us via email and when you share content and other information for publication on the site, for example by using our software to develop an application or posting a comment or text on any forum or feedback field, or through other direct contact from you.
Information We Collect. We collect information from and about you.
- We collect contact information. For example, we may collect your name, user name and email address. We may also collect other contact information, such as your street address, phone number and company name.
- We collect information you submit or post.We collect information you post in a public space on our site. We also collect information when you contact us.
- We collect other information.If you use our website, we may collect information about the browser you’re using. We might look at what site you came from, or what site you visit when you leave us.
How We Collect Information. We collect information in different ways.
- We collect information directly from you. For example, if you submit information or content to us to publish on the website or contact us to ask questions or leave comments.
- We collect information from you passively. We use tracking tools like “cookies” on this site. A cookie is a piece of data stored on a site visitor’s hard drive to help us improve your access to our site, provide you the best user experience and also to tell us which pages you find most interesting. For instance, when we use a cookie to identify you, you would not have to log in a password more than once, thereby saving time while on our site. Cookies can also enable us to track and target the interests of our users to enhance the experience on our site. Usage of a cookie is in no way linked to any personally identifiable information on our site.To learn more about these tools and show you can control them, please read the “Your Choices” section.
- We also collect information that we obtain from third parties.
How We Use Information.We use information as disclosed and described here.
- We use information to respond to you regarding the reason you contacted us. For example, we might use your information to respond to your feedback.
- We use information to improve our website, software and services. We may use your information to make our website and software and services we provide through the website better. We might use your information to customize your experience with us. We may combine information we get from you with information about you we get from third parties.
- We use information for marketing purposes. For example, we might send you information about new website, software or service features or updatesand special offers. These might be third party products, services or offers we think you might find interesting. When you register your interest, you will sign up to our newsletter, which you can unsubscribe from at any time. To manage this, read the “Your Choices” section below.
- We use information for security purposes. We may use information to protect our company, our users and our website.
- We use information to talk to parents or guardians to get permission. We may use contact information to get permission from parents for children who want to use our site.
- We use information as otherwise permitted by law or as we may notify you.
When We Share Information With Third Parties.We may share your information for our business purposes and as legally permitted, including:
- If we think we have to in order to comply with the law. For example, we will share information to respond to a court order or subpoena. We may also share if a government agency or investigatory body requests.
- With third parties who perform services on our behalf. For example, we share information with vendors who operate our website or send emails for us.
- With our affiliates and business partners.For example, we will share information with our affiliated companies and our business partners who co-sponsor a promotion or website feature.
- With a successor to all or part of our business.For example, if part of our business was sold we may give our customer list as part of that transaction.
- For other reasons we may describe to you.
Where We Store Information. Our sites are generally operated in the United States. If you are located outside of the United States, please be aware that any information you provide to us may be transferred to the United States. Please also be aware that by using our sites and giving us your information, you consent to such transfer. You also understand that the United States may not provide the same level of protections as the laws of your country.
Children. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 13 without verifiable parental consent. If we learn that we have collected personal information from a child under 13 without such consent, we will delete that information as quickly as possible. If you believe that we might have information from a child under 13, please contact us at email@example.com.
Security. The Internet is not 100% secure. We cannot promise that your use of our website will be completely SAFE. We encourage you to use caution on the Internet. This includes not sharing your passwords.
You may opt out of any future contacts from us at any time. You can do the following at any time by contacting us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at +1 650 847 1872:
- See what data we have about you, if any.
- Change/correct any data we have about you.
- Have us delete any data we have about you.
- Express any concern you have about our use of your data.
You can choose not to provide personal information. However, if you don’t provide us with information, some website features may not work. You can also choose to configure your browser not to accept cookies. If you do so, some parts of our website may not work.
California Privacy Rights
If you reside in California, you have the right to ask us one time each year if we have shared personal information with third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make a request, please send us an email at the address listed below, or write to us at the address listed below. Indicate in your letter that you are a California resident making a “Shine the Light” inquiry.
2440 Sand Hill Road, Suite 303
Menlo Park, CA 94025
Please include your email address, name, address, and telephone number to help us handle your request.